|Undergraduate Program in Applied Meteorology
1. Program overview
Major code: 070602
Major in Chinese: 应用气象学
Major in English: Applied meteorology
Program duration: Four years
Degrees Conferred: Bachelor of Science
2. Training objective
The objective is to cultivate talents with all-round development of morality, intelligence, physique and aesthetics. Through a four-years’ study, the students will be practice-oriented advanced professional personnel, and they should be able to master the basic theory, knowledge and skill of atmospheric science. The graduates will be engaged in research, teaching, science and technology development or managerial work relevant to atmospheric physics, atmospheric environment, atmospheric sounding, meteorology, climatology, applied meteorology and related disciplines.
Students will learn the basic theory, knowledge of atmospheric science, and they will undergo a basic training to learn how to think and do experiment as a scientist. They will be able to conduct basic or applied research of atmospheric sciences, and have the skills of theoretical analysis, data processing and computer application. The students will also have the ability to learn new knowledge independently and adapt themselves to a wide range of scientific environment.
(1) Students should seriously study Marxism-Leninism, Mao Zedong Thought, Deng Xiaoping Theory and Important Thought of “Three represents” and have a scientific world outlook and the philosophy to serve the people. Students should uphold the four fundamental principles, love their motherland, obey the laws and regulations, keep innovate and hard work, love labor, and they also should have the ideal, ambition and responsibility of struggle for the country prosperity and national rejuvenation.
(2) Students should master systematical theory and knowledge of mathematics, physics, chemistry and computer. They should have solid basic theory, knowledge and skills of atmospheric sciences, and master the technology and analysis method of atmospheric sounding, and they should also understand the principles and knowledge of related disciplines. They should understand the relevant policies and regulations of national science and technology development, environmental protection, intellectual property rights; they should understand the development trend and theory front of atmospheric science and related disciplines; They should grasp the essential skills of material inquiry and document retrieval, and modern information technology for information inquiry; They should have the ability to design experiments and create experimental conditions, and have the ability of processing and analysis of experimental results and writing papers. They should participate in academic seminars and workshop. They should master the practical skills of computer application, and foreign language. They can smoothly read professional literatures in foreign language, and they should also have strong ability of listening, speaking, reading and writing.
(3) Students should know about sports and military, and they should also be physically and psychologically healthy and can take part in physical exercise, so they can achieve the physical health standard of college students.
(4) Students should have the correct aesthetic and certain appreciation level of literature and art.
4. Major discipline
Atmospheric sciences, Environmental sciences
5. Major course
Introduction of atmospheric science, atmospheric physics, comprehensive meteorological sounding, principle of synoptic meteorology, dynamical meteorology, climatology, and so on.
6. Arrangement of teaching program
(1) Schedule of teaching activity for each academic year (Attached table 1)
(2) Courses and arrangement (Attached table 2)
(3) Practical training (Attached table 3)
7. Credits requirement for innovation practice
The minimum credit requirement for innovation practice is 8 credits, including 3 credits for social practice. The innovation practice credit is composed of three parts, including credits of research, technique and practice.
Students can get credit through various ways, including taking part in social practice, scientific and cultural activity, academic competition, publishing academic papers, developing practical products or obtaining a patent.
8. Credits requirement for graduation
Attached table 1 Schedule of teaching activity for each academic year
1. Actual weeks of each semester depends on the specific situation;
2. In general, winter and summer vacation lasts 4 and 7 weeks each academic year, respectively;
3. Social practice is arranged in summer vacation in each academic year;
4. Socially useful activity (about one week) is arranged in the second or third semester by the university, and it will not take up in-class hours.
Attached table 3 Practical training